About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, November 25, 2010

127 Hours

When the movie first started, for a brief moment I thought I might have been in the wrong film. The screen was full of crowds and noise, traffic and congestion. I was seriously thinking of getting up or checking my ticket stub when I finally saw Danny Boyle’s name. Knowing now that I was in the correct theatre I tried to understand what I was seeing. Then it became clear. When our protagonist ignores the phone, grabs his gear, fills a water bottle and hops in his car, he doesn’t unclench until he encounters a sign that says, “Next Services 100 Miles.” He is now far enough away from the city to breathe, calm down and relax. Come dawn, he’ll be able to rejuvenate. He’s about to experience the joys of nature.

By every behavior we can see that our hero, James Franco (Milk), is an expert outdoorsman. He’s organized, detailed, only this time he was rushed. A few fatal errors nearly cost him his life. When a boulder dislodges and pins his arm to a rock wall, only his training, cool-headed sanity and the will to survive keep him alive long enough to make a monumental decision. In order to live, Aron Ralston cuts off his own right arm.

We know that Aron Ralston endures because he makes it back and later writes a book. But the film is not about his survival it’s more about the process of survival. Why do some make it while others perish? It is luck, skill, training or attitude? This film breaks it down and shows us how one guy made it home. Some will find it gross, some will find it revolting, Aron had to take some extreme measures to cheat death. But what is fascinating about this film is its ability to connect us to his experience. Whether we’ve ever been rock climbing or not, we understand the feeling of being trapped. Director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire) puts us right in there with him and we feel what he feels. It really is a remarkable cinematic achievement and James Franco gives a performance to match. The Oscar buzz is not unwarranted. I highly recommend this film.

Rating: Must See A riveting Oscar contender

No comments:

Post a Comment