About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

It is difficult for me to evaluate a Harry Potter film. I have never read any of the books, therefore some of the characters and plot points elude me. However I was completely enchanted with the first Harry Potter film and I have seen every movie since. So since I can’t review this film as a Harry Potter fan, I am going to focus on this film as a fantasy adventure.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has no definitive beginning or end. It is clearly a bridging story between what has gone before and what will happen next. Harry Potter once again is in danger and his friends have rallied around him to save his life. Hermione with her superior spell casting powers has transformed everyone into Harry Potter decoys to confuse and frustrate the villains. But when things go wrong she has the ability to transport herself, Harry and Ron to any place that she is currently thinking of. This is an interesting concept for me. Since every place they land has some memory or significance for Hermione, each scene carries its own emotional weight, which causes an intriguing dynamic.

Unlike some of the previous Harry Potter films that are effects heavy, this one really focuses on the relationships of our three heroes. Romance is budding between Hermione and Ron and when under stress Ron becomes jealous of her relationship with Harry. Harry is full of remorse and guilt. He is trying desperately to push people away in a false attempt to protect them. But Harry needs his friends now more than ever. Together is the only way for them to survive.

What I liked the most about this film were the quiet scenes that took place when the three were hiding. Whether it was a tent in the woods, or an empty diner, these times of isolation forced them to deal with their emotions and come to terms with what was happening. What I noticed the most about these scenes is how much Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint have grown as actors. These exchanges were honest, grounded and full of angst. It was delightful to see their growth. You could have easily pulled them out of this film and inserted them into a war film as resistance fighters. Their performances had experience and gravity. You could tell that they were feeling the weight of the world.

Since this Harry Potter has less spectacle than previous Potter films it really allowed me to appreciate the effects that were there. Because I wasn’t overwhelmed with the visual, I was able to appreciate the sound this time around. I was also fascinated by the elevator effect. I was having fun trying to figure out how much of that was practical and how much was CGI. It was a very cool and statisfying effect.

Even though this Harry Potter is not as action intensive as its other films I still found it well paced, intense and engaging through out. I was never bored, even in the quieter moments and when the film was over I was surprised when I looked at my watch. It didn’t feel long at all. Also I enjoyed the acting of some of the minor characters. It was amusing watching adults like David O’Hare, take on the mannerisms of our teen heroes. It was also entertaining viewing multiple Harry Potters. That was a very clever scene and provided some much needed humor.

I was curious about the Gestapo undercurrent in the film and wondered if young viewers would pick up on it. I immediately recognized these brown shirt behaviors because I grew up on World War II films. I wondered how much the kids would understand. But even if they didn’t, the tone was still there as well as the evil incarnations. Darkness is darkness, even in the world of magic. And what really saves Harry Potter is love, good friends, loyalty and thinking of others. That is the true magic of Harry Potter.

Rating: First Run Our heroes have grown up

No comments:

Post a Comment