About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, November 8, 2010

Red Hill

The first day on a new job can be hell, but for Shane Cooper, that is an understatement. Ryan Kwanten (Trueblood) plays a young constable who has just transferred from the big city to a remote Australian outpost. Showing up on the job gunless and late, he arrives at the station to find a horse in the driveway and a cool reception from his associates. His boss is down the street, so with some quick directions Shane ambles down the road to meet his superior, Old Bill.

After a dressing down for losing his gun amongst the packing boxes, Old Bill (Steve Bisley) interrogates his new employee and questions his motives for being there. With reluctance, Shane reveals that his wife has suffered a previous miscarriage and they have moved to the country to remove stress, lower her blood-pressure and help her carry her new baby to term. Unfortunately for them, they chose the town of Red Hill.

Before the day is through, like a panther coming out of the night, the devil has come to collect his due. A former resident of the town, Jimmy Conway, has escaped from prison and he’s back in Red Hill to exact his revenge. Old Bill, who put him away, is intent of stopping the formidable Jimmy. With the help of a posse, they prepare for the worst and the worst is what they’ll get. Jimmy Conway is an aborigine descendant and the best tracker in the country. Shane Cooper is stuck in the middle, clueless and wondering, who is hunting who.

Red Hill is a stylish thriller with the look and feel of a western and the intensity of a horror movie. Tommy Lewis, with his fire-scared face comes off like a Clint Eastwood character out of Hang ‘Em High. With a name like Shane Cooper, Ryan Kwanten represents what is right and true and as the new comer he must figure out what is going on before it gets him killed.

Patrick Hughes, after cutting his teeth on short films, has written, directed and produced this film. I found it so exciting that not only will I look for his future projects I will go back and seek out his earlier films as well. Like an Aussie version of Robert Rodriguez, Hughes’ movie is violent, but it is also thrilling and intense. It had me on the edge of my street and loving every minute. What an great new discovery in Patrick Hughes. I can’t wait to see his next film.

Rating: Must See A neo western thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment