About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Attack the Block

I’m not sure what was more alien to me the South London street kids or the extraterrestrials falling from the sky, but Attack the Block was a lot of fun. As soon as I was able to pick up on the British slang and get past some thick accents I thoroughly enjoyed this fresh take on the aliens invading earth genre. Brought to us by the producers of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead I was expecting a lot of humor and satire, what I didn’t expect was some pretty cool creatures that were unique, effective and quite scary.
 
Attack the Block takes place in a low-income housing project with four towering complexes joined together by a labyrinth of bridges and stairways. A group of boys who live there fancy themselves as thugs and patrol the block committing petty crimes and misdemeanors. The oldest boy Moses, played by John Boyega, is the natural leader of the gang and the other boys look up to him. When an alien crashes down on them from the sky, interrupting their mugging of a young nurse, Moses and the boys chase it down and kill it. This is a mistake that they soon regret as dozens of other aliens follow with revenge on their minds. Their childhood bravado becomes a matter of life and death as they fight together to protect their neighborhood.
 
What made this movie work for me was the chemistry between the gang members. At heart most of them are good boys with a caring parent trying to survive in a violent world. But the street has hardened them and exposed them to the thug life. Having an enemy they can unite against is therapeutic for them. Their criminal skills now have a noble purpose and working together strengthens them.
 
The only cast member that may be familiar to American audiences is Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz). He plays a marijuana horticulturist who works in a fortified apartment on the top floor of the complex. His boss, Hi-Hatz, played by Jamayn Hunter is an authentic gangster and he is just as scary as any invading alien. When he sets his sights on taking out Moses, the boys don’t know who to fear most.
 
This film is full of fun characters from trash-talking home girls to a wanna-be ladies man. All of the teenagers are amusing and watchable, but Alex Esmail stands out as Pest. Seeing him trying to make time with the nurse (Jodie Whittaker) that they just tried to mug earlier that evening is hysterical. He also comes through in a few other crucial moments with some welcome comic relief. I really enjoyed his performance as well as the other boys who are all quirky, fun and fully developed characters. Keep a look out for Sammy Williams and Michael Ajao as Probs and Mayhem, bravery can come in small packages.
 
Attack the Block works as a comedy, sci-fi adventure, as well as an action film. To quote one of the characters in this film, “These aliens are sick” and with their black fur and glow in the dark teeth they are truly frightening in the dim lighting of the run-down apartment complex. Young John Boyega has a lot of charisma and has the making of a true action star. He is the heart of the film and brings a lot of gravitas to the story. I look forward to more from this up and coming actor and highly recommend this film.

Rating: First Run A fresh take on the aliens invading earth genre

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of it. Nick and I will see it soon!

    ReplyDelete