About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Two New Twists on Classic Tales: A Comic-Con Preview

Of all the films I saw previewed this summer at Comic-Con, the two that intrigued me the most were The Immortals and Snow White and the Huntsman. The Immortals, based on Greek mythology, blasted my senses with color, depth, and a violence so stylized it was beautiful. It was like standing in a museum and having a Renaissance oil painting come to life. In this version, the director Tarsem Singh is working on the premiss of the Immortals being young. He reasons that if you had the chance to live forever, wouldn’t you want to be preserved in your prime?

The Immortals stars Henry Cavill as Theseus, Luke Evans as Zeus, Mickey Rourke as King Hyperion, Kellan Lutz as Poseidon and Stephen Dorff as Stavros. With such a cast of fine male specimens Freida Pinto says that her favorite part of making the movie was watching the men work. This film is slated for release on 11-11-11.

The other film that caught my imagination was Universal’s Snow White and the Huntsman. In this interpretation Snow White, as played by Kristen Stewart, becomes a rebel leader and mounts an offensive against the evil queen (Charlize Theron). Chris Hemsworth plays the Huntsman ordered to kill Snow White, but like the original story he is unable to follow through being captivated and seduced by her beauty and purity of heart.

Some people may grumble about the liberties taken by director Rupert Sanders but I am excited about the idea. Snow White becomes the People’s Princess and leads the dwarfs and others in a fight against a tyrannical queen. We were not told how Prince Charming works into the equation, but Sam Claflin who plays Prince Charmant said we won’t be disappointed.

Since Snow White and the Huntsman doesn’t begin filming until next week, all the studio had to show us was the cast in wardrobe photos. The director, however, brought along a clip from a video he made to show the studio his vision. This short film made with unknown actors conveyed to us the look, tone, and emphasis of the story. This video secured him the job and it convinced me, too. I am very excited about this film and luckily we only have to wait until June 2012 to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment