About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two

The saga of Harry Potter has come to a conclusion and in a film worthy of its predecessors Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two is a satisfying end to a true cinematic phenomenon. In my lifetime there has never been a series to match the consistent creative excellence of the Harry Potter films. Each chapter has been treated with respect, reverence and sound decision-making. Even when the films departed from the novels the choices were made to enhance the movie-going experience and to focus on the visual aspects of the story. The Harry Potter films have been a class act from beginning to end and worthy of critical praise.
 
For me, nothing will ever match the wonder I felt when watching the first Harry Potter film. Having never read any of the books I came in completely unprepared for what I was about to experience. I felt an instant kinship with our hero Harry and once at Hogwarts I loved all the little embellishments and details found in the background. At times I realized that I was missing dialogue because I was so fascinated by paintings that were alive, staircases that moved, and candles that floated in the air. I was lost in a world of magic and fantasy. I was lost in the world of Harry Potter.
 
As the series continued and I became more familiar with the characters the magical aspects of the film began to lose their impact. In turn I became more invested in Ron, Hermione and Harry. It is for this reason that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part One is my favorite film. I loved the intimacy of the movie. It reminded me of a war film where our heroes are forced to run and hide from the enemy like resistance fighters. It put them in a situation where their friendship is strained and their resolve is put to the test.
 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part Two is also like a war movie but of a different scope. Whereas Part One is more like a foxhole picture, Part Two is like a battlefield epic. But the beauty of Part Two is that you never lose the intimate feeling. Using 3-D this time around the battle sequences have tremendous depth and scope. But in between battles, in the quiet moments, you forget that the film is in 3-D. The effects are dialed back and once again it is an intimate film. This chapter of the story is also about transition. Ron and Hermione finally admit their feelings for each other and Harry becomes a man. His sacrifice is total as Harry literally lays down his life to save his fellow wizards and Hogwarts.
 
When you look back over the entire series of films it is wonderful to see the growth of Rubert Grint, Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliff. Beginning with the Chris Columbus school of acting in film one and two, they have grown to be fine and respected young actors. What an amazing life they must have had being immersed for 14 years in the world of Harry Potter and being influenced by the finest British actors on the planet. By keeping their heads on straight and paying attention they have been able to learn from the best. It will be exciting to see where their lives will take them next. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part Two is a wonderful end to a magnificent series. I doubt we’ll ever see its like again.

Rating: Must See A piece of cinematic history

No comments:

Post a Comment