About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, July 8, 2011

Green Lantern

Two summers ago at Comic-com, the world of Geekdom was abuzz about the prospects of a live-action version of Green Lantern. Until a few years ago I had never heard of this super hero, but now that I was hanging out more with comic-book fans I was learning that he was quite popular. In order to prepare and familiarize myself with the story I sat through a feature length animated film entitled Green Lantern: First Flight. It did a terrific job laying out the mythology and I found Hal Jordan a likable character.
 
The next year Ryan Reynolds was on hand to promote the upcoming film and I thought that he was a good choice. During the question and answer portion of the panel a little boy approached the microphone and asked Ryan Reynolds to recite the Green Lantern oath. The entire place melted as Ryan solemnly recited his vows and then proceeded to give the child the ring off of his own hand. It was the cutest thing I ever saw and I was beginning to understand the power of this hero.
 
Now that the film is out, after a build-up of over two years, the moment of truth has arrived. Does the film measure up and will it please the fans? The reaction has been mixed. I for one was slightly disappointed. In watching the animated film two years ago, the part I liked the best was Hal Jordan displaying his cocky, flyboy antics. He had a tremendous ego and watching him interact with other pilots and his friends was a lot of fun. This should have been easy for Ryan Reynolds because he is good at creating a wise-cracking persona. But the Hal Jordan portrayed in this film had more angst. Except for flying, he didn’t feel like he was good at anything and he had some real self-esteem issues. That wasn’t what I was expecting and not being a true devotee, I don’t know if that quality is true to the comic book version.

In the animated film we got to know Hal first before the aliens were introduced and I liked this because I can identify more with Hal than any space being. But in Green Lantern they started with the alien world and a warrior who is in a battle for his life. He is the one who eventually gives Hal his Green Lantern ring. It took me awhile to get up to speed and figure out who was who. The only alien character I remember well from the animated film was Sinestro, being played here by Mark Strong. I thought that Mark Strong did a good job but he wasn’t given much to do. It felt like we were just being introduced to the characters, much like a television pilot expecting to develop further over time. In my opinion the script was too concerned about how to display and use the cool green super powers than developing its characters. I didn’t care about Blake Lively’s Carol and I felt sorry for Peter Sarsgaard. He could have done so much with that role if given enough time. I found the focus and priorities of this film all wrong.

Green Lantern isn’t the worst super hero movie I’ve seen but after a two year build up it didn’t live up to the hype. Super hero powers are cool, but it is the back story and the hero themselves that compel us to follow their stories. That’s why the X-men franchise works so well. These inhuman mutants are made human by allowing us into their private thoughts and lives. Green Lantern needs to be more grounded, only then will be be ready to follow him in flight.

Rating: Rent It Did not live up to the hype

No comments:

Post a Comment