About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Let me begin by answering the question foremost on everyone’s mind; yes, the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is just as good as the original from Denmark. There are subtle differences in tone and color, but a good story is a good story and will translate in any language. The key to success in the American version is the brilliant casting of Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist and Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander. Their chemistry is essential to the film and the two of them work well together.

For those of you who do not know the story, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first of a trilogy involving an investigative journalist named Mikael Blomkvist and an anti-social researcher and computer hack named Lisbeth Salander. They join forces to solve a mystery and find that they are a pretty good team. They form a bond that will carry them over into the next two films. Hopefully this cast will be reassembled and the next two films will be made.

The mystery of the first film contains a disappearing girl, a serial murderer, Nazi collaborators, and deep family secrets. The other mystery is Lisbeth Salander herself and how she came to be a ward of the state. Her past is a tragic one and her present is not much better. But Lisbeth is a fierce survivor and she is clever too. Blomkvist accepts her as she is and she in turn responds to his honesty. The two are good for each other and that is the beauty of this series.

It is difficult to judge the impact of a film when you are seeing a remake because there are no surprises and you know what is going to happen. But craft wise this film is very well done and I believe that even the sharpest critic will find some merit.

Rating: First Run As good as the original

No comments:

Post a Comment