About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Iron Lady

Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher is a triumph. In my egocentric youth, Margaret Thatcher was a name in the background of my life. I knew that she was the Prime Minister of England, a friend to Ronald Reagan, and I remember the Falkland war, but beyond that I never paid much attention. I was too busy finishing high school, going to college and starting my adult life. But after watching The Iron Lady I am embarrassed to say that I missed a very important chapter in women’s history. Margaret Thatcher not only accomplished great things as a woman, she accomplished great things as a leader, period!
 
Going into The Iron Lady, I knew very little about Margaret Thatcher. I’ve never been a big fan of politics, let alone politics outside of my own country, but I found Margaret Thatcher's story fascinating. You could not find a better actress to portray her than Meryl Streep, and the surprising co-star of this film was the make-up. Meryl Streep’s age make-up is the best I’ve seen in a very long time. Like any good supporting player it makes its point and never distracts from the performance. Throughout the entire film depicting various periods of time the make-up and costumes were flawless and deserve to be mentioned for their excellence.
 
Another strong supporting element in this film is Jim Broadbent as Denis Thatcher. He showed us a man of humor and wit who was able to accept Margaret on her own terms. He was also secure enough as a man to stand behind his wife as she rose through the ranks to become the first woman Prime Minister. It was clear through this performance how much she depended on him. Without his love and support she would have never been able to reach such heights. Also good are Alexandra Roach and Harry Lloyd as the young Margaret and Denis. In order to appreciate where this couple went you have to understand where they started.
 
As one who could easily be turned off by politics, let me assure you that this is a very exciting film. It is as much a love story as a historical review. Politically the seventies and the eighties were a very volatile time. Between union strikes, terrorist attacks, and a severe economic recession, Margaret Thatcher was on the front lines most of her life. She grew up a grocer’s daughter who encouraged her to think and pursue an education. When she entered civic life she was known for her strong opinions and shrill voice, but once her foot was in the door, eventually she started to be heard. Through her tenacity and determination, the boy’s club was finally able to get past her grating voice and feminine sex. They were able to see her strength and common sense. She alienated a lot of people, but had the courage to make the tough decisions. Along with her friend, U.S. President Ronald Reagan, she changed the world and led her country back into a position of strength. Hers is an exhilarating a story and Meryl Streep gives a sublime performance. This is a film and performance that should not be missed.

Rating: Must See Great lady, great performance

No comments:

Post a Comment