About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows

Today I get to write something I seldom do. When it comes to the Sherlock Holmes sequel Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows it is as actually good and as much fun as the original. I loved it! Just like its predecessor, it hit the ground running and never let up. I really love the way that director Guy Ritchie uses his thugs and villains to add flavor and texture to the atmosphere. Every street, every setting has little details sprinkled in to give us the impression of the seedy side of London and its rouge’s gallery of criminals. And what great fun it is to discover that some of the lowliest characters are Sherlock Holmes in disguise.

Dr. Watson (Jude Law) is wrapping up his chronicle of Sherlock Holmes’ latest adventure (Robert Downey Jr.). It will be the last for Dr. Watson for he is settling down and getting married. Being Sherlock Holmes’ partner is a dangerous business and not an appropriate occupation for a married man. He is returning to medicine and Holmes is not taking it well. He is losing his best friend and companion and must now go it alone, but Dr. Moriarty (Jared Harris) has other plans. Even when Holmes begs to leave Watson out of it, Moriarty flatly refuses. Holmes must now protect Watson and his new bride. He also must convince Watson to help him on one last case. Until Moriarty is put away no one is safe. Even Holmes’ brother Mycroft (Stephen Fry) is at risk.

Holmes is obsessed with Dr. Moriarty and thwarting his master plan. But as yet Holmes has no idea what that is. He follows his web of clues which leads him to a Gypsy girl (Noomi Rapace). Somehow her brother is involved in a fiendish plot and Madame Simza and Holmes must find the connection. This journey takes them to the continent where danger and intrigue abound.

Everything that I loved about the first film is present in this worthy sequel. I love the fast driving pace, the wonderful Celtic score, the rapport between two bickering buddies and the insight into Holmes’ complicated mind. In this film we get to know Mycroft, Holmes’ brother, and he is as much of an eccentric as Holmes is. It is his mysterious job with the crown that provides Holmes and Watson access to many prestigious events. It is there that they uncover Dr. Moriarty’s sinister plot. From the underground den of robbers and thieves to the halls of academia and state events, Moriarty has his hand everywhere. It is up to Holmes and Watson to expose this evil opportunist. For Holmes it is a match of intellect and wit.

Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows is a delight and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I especially appreciated all of Holmes’ disguises and his attempts at urban camouflage. I love the chemistry between Downey and Law and seriously hope they do a third film. Jared Harris as Moriarty makes a great foil for Holmes and I look forward to any new opponents that come along. Like others I can get nostalgic for the older interpretations of Sherlock Holmes but I enjoy Robert Downey Jr.’s version as well which is vigorous, energetic and alert. He can’t help himself, his intellect, senses and manic energy are a curse. He couldn’t restrain himself if he tried. I like this version and I like the contrast found in Watson. Watson is a man of science who wants to conform to genteel society but cannot leave his sense of adventure behind. He is fiercely loyal and the perfect partner to Holmes. I hope this “bromance” continues a very long time.

Rating: Must See There is adventure afoot

No comments:

Post a Comment