About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, December 31, 2011

We Bought A Zoo

When an adventure seeking widower comes to his wit’s end trying to care for his motherless children he does something unexpected and crazy, he quits his job and buys a zoo. Now it was not his intention to buy a zoo. He fell in love with a house and it just happened to have a zoo attached to it. And since, after seeing the animals, it was the first time he heard his daughter laugh in over six months he did what any good dad would do. He wrapped himself around her little finger.

Matt Damon stars as Benjamin Mee and he has an earnest, just trying to hang on vibe that makes him quite adorable. Equally adorable is Maggie Elizabeth Jones who plays his precious daughter. Colin Ford portrays Dylan Mee and he is troubled, hurt and has gone over to the dark side. His poor behavior has gotten him kicked out of school and his latest episode is what prompted their move.

With the zoo came a support staff who was charged with keeping the animals healthy until a new owner was found. Scarlett Johansson plays the head zoo keeper and in this film she has a natural, earthy look. I have to say I prefer her this way. Also part of the staff is her niece played by the lovely Elle Fanning. Angus Macfadyen portrays a quirky, eccentric zoological designer and John Michael Higgins plays the government inspector who is this film serves as the villain. Also playing is Thomas Haden Church as Benjamin Mee’s no-nonsense brother.

We Bought A Zoo is a sweet movie with lovable animals and likable humans. Matt Damon spends a lot of time mourning his wife, while his kids are obviously affected by her death. This is a chance for them all to start over, for the Mees and the Rosemoor Animal Park. Both are in need of a little rehabilitation and a lot of love. With this zoo comes a new start and a new family. The Mees and Rosemoor are made for each other.

Rating: First Run A warm family film

No comments:

Post a Comment