About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, August 13, 2009

District 9

If I had to use one word to describe this film, that word would be transforms. This movie is all about transformations. In the beginning, a humanitarian act towards some very unfortunate aliens, transforms through greed and avarice, into an act of repression and neglect. A simple basic need like food and shelter, is transformed into a means of exploitation and manipulation. And a simple, bureaucratic man, transforms through circumstances, into a hero, when his eyes are opened by the truth. This movie is all about transformations.

District 9 is a classic example of good Science Fiction. You take a social issue, like immigration, or the creation and existence of slums, and you disguise it by making it about something else. Then when you become familiar with the story and recognize what it is really about, you are already on your way to a fresh perspective and hopefully a new world view. That is the beauty of Science Fiction.

Sharlto Copley, who plays Wikus Van De Merwe, transforms in more ways than one. The character arc that Sharlto has to go through is tremendously effective, especially for such a new and unknown actor. Director Neill Blomkamp, really puts his friend through the ringer, and his commitment to the role pays off. Sharlto Copley is a star to be watched.

As an entertainment, District 9 delivers, too. There are cool aliens, guns, explosions, and a robot battle that was much more effective than anything I saw in The Transformers. Technically, this modestly budgeted film was expertly produced, and every dollar that was spent, is evident on the screen. This film is a good summer action flick, with a conscience, and it’s definitely worth being seen. It is also a film worth discussing.

Rating: First Run Great action with a message as well, Sci Fi at its best

No comments:

Post a Comment