About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Funny People

In college I dated a comedian. I was attracted to him because he cracked jokes in class, he was fun, and he never seemed to take things too seriously. I was a very serious girl in school. I was unhappy at the time, and I really wanted to lighten up. So, we started dating. But after a couple of months, he started to show his other side. Brooding, insecure, with a lot of pain underneath all those funny lines. I learned very quickly not to look to others for the joy in my life.

Funny People, like my true life experience, shows us both sides of a comedian’s world. There’s the laughter, the fun, the manic energy, the perks of being famous, but the other side of the coin is much darker. This story has been told before, in various other films, but I feel that this movie is very nicely balanced. It gives us a realistic look at the lives of stand-up comedians.

If you go into this movie expecting a broad Judd Apatow comedy, you will likely be very disappointed. It is more of a finely crafted character study showing us the reality of life as a comedy star. Adam Sandler plays a role very much like himself, and how it’s extremely difficult to go out in public without wearing your funny man mask wherever you go. No matter how you are feeling, or what you are going through that day, when you are a comedian people expect you to be able to, “Say something funny,” right on cue. This can be very depressing for a comic.

I really liked this movie. I felt that it gave us a nice portrait of what it’s like to be a comedian and work in show business. And I also feel that it did a very good job of striking the correct balance between humor and pathos. Adam Sandler did an excellent job in the role, although he’ll probably get very little credit for it because the part was so much like himself. Seth Rogen was also touching as the aspiring comedian who becomes George Simmon’s personal assistant. He vulnerable and believable in the part.

As far as comedy goes, there is plenty of it, and lots of cameos added for good measure. Eric Bana is strangely funny as a Laura’s always traveling husband. And Leslie Mann plays Laura, the girl that got away, who is thrust back into George Simmon’s life when he goes searching for answers and meaning. Acting with her true-life daughters, my favorite scene is when she is sharing a video tape of her daughter singing a song from Cats. The look on her face when George gets bored and checks the messages on his phone says it all. Leslie Mann has quickly become one of my favorite comedic actresses.

As I mentioned before, don’t go in to this film expecting Knocked Up or The Forty Year Old Virgin. This is a different kind of film. If anything I hope it will give you pause to think. The next time you spot your favorite funny man in public, take a moment to read the situation, before you grab your camera, or yell out your favorite catch phrase. Remember that comedians are people too, with family, lives and drama of their own. They love to entertain and make people laugh, but give them a break, especially when you catch them in public.

Rating: First Run A well rounded dramatic comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment