About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

They say that love is all about timing; being at the right place at the right time is everything. How often have we met someone and the timing was all wrong? The object of our desire was already involved, or emotionally they weren’t ready. Or, maybe we were the ones that weren’t ready. When that happens, love slips away and its promise goes unfulfilled.

The Time Traveler’s Wife is the story of a couple who are in love. The woman, played by Rachel McAdams, lives her life in a linear fashion, while her love, played by Eric Bana, pops in and out of her life, throughout. He appears at different ages and with different sets of memories, and it is up to her to organize their life and make it bearable. This love story is nearly impossible, but the desire between them is so strong that they are willing to meet all obstacles.

I don’t know what the book was like, but I found this film very melancholy. On one hand you have a woman of faith, willing to make the sacrifices. And on the other hand you have a man, who loves her so much, that he’s willing to do anything to keep from disappointing her. It is a relationship built on compromises and commitments, and disappointments. And it’s a story about making the best of the time that you have. It is a timely story indeed.

Rating: First Run Romantic, but bittersweet

No comments:

Post a Comment