About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious Basterds: violent, unpredictable, surprising, unapologetic, an ode to the films of Germany and America’s early years. This Jewish revenge fantasy offers us an alternative history, a history that might have been if our American directors had had a crack at it. Goebbels, as the Reich Minister of Propaganda, was portrayed like a studio boss. When he is persuaded to premier his latest pro-German production in a small Parisian cinema, events are put into play to take out Hitler and his masterminds in one fell swoop.

The beginning of this film reminded me of a Spaghetti Western which segued into a shot straight out of John Ford’s The Searchers. As a film buff, I enjoyed picking up on all the nods and references. But for the casual filmgoer, this film may be a bit too violent. I enjoyed the colorful characters and the intense stand-offs. I relished not knowing which way a scene would play out. Since it was not historically accurate, it could go anywhere. It was fun being surprised.

I loved Brad Pitt and his Nazi killing Dirty Dozen, yet they are only one part of this film. I also enjoyed Christoph Waltz as a good detective that just happened to be in the SS. If he wasn’t in a Nazi uniform, we might of admired his powers of deduction, but since he was using his skills to ferret out Jews and traitors, we saw his proficiency as repugnant and maniacal. It was a deliciously evil character and Christoph Waltz really stood out in this role. I also liked Michael Fassbender as the cool British undercover agent. In civilian life he was a film critic and used his knowledge of German Cinema to pose as a German officer. It was nice having a film critic as a hero for a change.

I am not a huge Quentin Tarentino fan, but of all his films, this is my favorite. It acknowledges that film is universal and that even Nazi's like a good flick. Early German film was very admirable and if it weren’t for the war, America would not dominate cinema today. European filmmaking was severely hindered during the war, which gave American film the chance to establish a cinematic stronghold. The power of film is undeniable, and cinema is truly honored in film.

Rating: First Run Even Nazi’s liked a good film

No comments:

Post a Comment