About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Perect Getaway

At first I was really enjoying my Perfect Getaway. The scenery was nice, the preliminaries were pleasant, and the acting was good. But about three-quarters of the way through the film, I started getting insulted. Everything was either being explained, or telegraphed. I hate it when I figure out the twist too early. It’s like doing a 100-piece jigsaw puzzle. It’s amusing for a short while, but when it’s too easy, you don’t feel that it is worth your time.

The spoiling began for me when the screen writing character and the Special Ops character started discussing the ingredients for the perfect thriller. I thought to myself, “Oh no, let me get out my notebook. We’re going to tick off a list.” And from that point, I knew we were going to have a by the book thriller. All you had to do was pay attention, watch for the clues, and don’t get led astray by the “red snappers”. (film reference)

This film tried to be clever. But if you are going to switch things up, don’t tell us, surprise us. And don’t feel compelled to explain everything we may have missed. If we didn’t get it the first time, make us go see the film again. I feel like the filmmaker didn’t trust us to figure things out.

I really like the two women in this film. I didn’t recognize Milla Jovovich at first and I was very impressed by her performance. I also liked Kiele Sanchez. She’s a gal you’d want on your side. Steve Zahn got to exercise his acting muscles, but Timothy Olyphant got all the charisma. He plays a character you’d like to see again. This is one time when I wouldn’t mind a sequel.

Rating: Rent It Some good performances in this tropical thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment