About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, August 10, 2009

Yoo-Hoo, Mrs. Golberg

The advertising tag-line for this movie read, “The Most Famous Woman In America You’ve Never Heard Of.” And it’s true, I’ve never heard of Gertrude Berg before. But she is credited for inventing the family sitcom and deserves her due. Before I Love Lucy and all the rest, there was Molly Goldberg and her family, hanging out of her window, dispensing her own brand of logic and wisdom to her neighbors.

Gertrude Berg, who created Molly Goldberg for radio, brought the sit-com to television after seeing a demonstration of the brand new medium at NBC. Beginning at NBC, and then eventually moving to CBS, she dominated television in popularity, second only to Amos and Andy. She was the first woman ever to win an Emmy for Best Actress.

Without giving the rest away, suffice it to say, that this woman deserves a second look. Her accomplishments were many, and in a time when most women where housewives, she wrote, produced and starred in her own TV show, as well as being a product pitchman and an entrepreneur. She truly was a remarkable woman and this film does her honor.

Rating: Rent It Gertrude Berg pioneered the television sitcom, she is a piece of television history

No comments:

Post a Comment