About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

12

In 1957, Sidney Lumet’s film Twelve Angry Men, made a deep impression on America, and went on to earn three Academy Award nominations. Set half way between World War II and the assassination of Martin Luther King, this film held a mirror up to America and caused us to examine our views on race, prejudice, truth, and justice. Fifty years later in 2007, film maker Nikita Mikhalkov, re-envisioned this film in a Russian setting. Exchanging a Chechen boy for a Puerto Rician one, and a decrepit gymnasium for a jury room, his film examines the modern Russia of today.

12 was nominated for an Oscar in the 2008 ceremony. I’m not sure why it has taken so long to reach the general American audience, but I’m glad it did. This film is brilliant. I was engrossed from beginning to end, and found the character studies fascinating. My only regret is that in having to read the subtitles, I had to take my eyes off of the set, which became a character unto itself. Instead of a jury room, the jurors had to hole up in the gymnasium of a neighboring school, since the courthouse was undergoing repairs. The gym began symbolic of the current state of Russia, and why change is so hard to foster.

I was unfamiliar with all of the Russian actors, but they were excellent. I was so impressed by this film that I will now actively seek out other Russian movies. The writing, directing, cinematography, were all outstanding. I only wish I could speak Russian so I could pick up more of the character nuisances. I’m sure that there were many things I missed, accents, grammar, mis-pronunciations, that would have given me more clues to the inner-workings of these characters. But, even with subtitles, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. What an achievement. I highly recommend this movie.

Rating: Must See A film worth talking about

No comments:

Post a Comment