About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Last House On The Left

I HATE this type of film. It’s cruel, gory, sadistic, and not my idea of having fun. That being said, if you like this genre, this a good one. Having missed the original Wes Craven film in the 70’s, I mistakenly thought this movie was about something else. But, once I stopped squirming, I did have to admit, that this film was very well made.

The first thing I noticed was the score, which really enhanced the tension through out the film. The cinematography was vivid, making the violent, bloody scenes, all that more uncomfortable. The acting was good. I was especially impressed with Spencer Treat Clark who plays the gang leader’s tortured and reluctant son. You could really feel his pain, trapped between intense fear of his father, and his abhorrence towards his actions. Martha MacIsaac plays the stupid, yet lovable pot head, who sets the chain of events in motion.

Equally good in the cast, is Sara Paxton, as the other teenage victim. Unlike her friend, she keeps her cool, uses her head, and displays a tenacity beyond all expectations. Monica Potter was convincing as the mother, who must hide her fear in order to protect her daughter. Garret Dillahunt was forceful and menacing as the leader, and Riki Linhome was creepy, yet fascinating, as the gang leader’s minion.

To round out the cast, Tony Goldwyn plays the father who chucks his Hippocratic oath out the window, and Aaron Paul plays the third bad guy and the object of his destruction. The tagline of this film is, “If bad people hurt someone you love, how far would you go to hurt them back?” The answer is, as far as it takes.

I can’t recommend this film only because of its subject matter. But, if I had to put my personal feelings aside, this film is a very good example of its kind.

Rating: First Run But only if you’re into violent, bloody, revenge films that will turn your stomach

No comments:

Post a Comment