About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Everlasting Moments

There are some people, who see the world in ways that other people do not. Whether they express this vision through the written word, art, or photography, they have the ability to convey this vision in ways that other people may enjoy. Everlasting Moments is the story of one such person.

Based on a true story, Everlasting Moments tells the tale of Maria Larsson. A wife with an alcoholic, abusive, husband. When her husband is incarcerated and Maria is left to care for her large family, she searches the house for things to sell, and discovers a camera she once won in a lottery. She takes the camera to a photography shop to determine its worth. The shop owner agrees to buy it on one condition, that she learns how to use it first.

Maria discovers a gift for photography, and the shop owner encourages her talent. However, her family life keeps pulling her away. It takes years for Maria to learn how to balance the obligations of family, with the love of her camera. But, eventually, others discover how truly talented she is.

This is a beautiful film that celebrates artistic expression. Nominated for a Golden Globe, this wonderful film is definitely worth seeing. I was deeply moved by it. Maria Heiskanen, is poignant, as Maria Larsson, and the director Jan Troell, truly captures the magic and wonder of photography.

In Swedish, with English subtitles.

Rating: First Run A tribute to creativity

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for recommending this one to me. It definitely sounds like something I would really enjoy. I'll have to see where it is playing in NYC. Keep up the blogging- your reviews are really great!

    ReplyDelete