About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, March 14, 2009

American Cinematheque

When I share and tell my friends about some really cool film event I have attended, they always ask me, “How did you get to do that?” One of my greatest sources is the American Cinematheque. I became a Cinematheque member several years ago and it's one check I never mind writing. The American Cinematheque is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the public presentation of film in all it's forms. This means I get to see documentaries, shorts, foreign films, classics, as well as advance screenings of current, popular films.

It costs $60 to join, as an individual member, but let me do the math for you. When you join, you automatically get discounts on admission for future visits. This way you’ll be paying $7.00 versus $10.00. That is a savings of $3.00 per each film. But wait, it gets better. When you join, you automatically receive a voucher for two free admissions. That’s $60.00 minus $14.00, which brings your membership cost down to $46.00. Then you get two free tickets during the month of your birthday, which brings you membership down to $32.00. Throw in a couple of free member’s only screenings and it’s like they’re paying you to go to the movies.

I love the American Cinematheque. They have two venues, the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, and the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. It’s great because if I don’t like what’s playing at one place, you can look to see what’s on at the other. Also, every once in awhile, there will be a joint venture, where you get to go to events at other locations. It’s the best movie deal in town.

One of the things I love the most about the American Cinematheque is the Q&A periods after the film. Whenever possible, the director, writer, producer, or one of the stars will come, and answer questions after the film. My favorite night ever was when they screened Moulin Rogue. I brought a friend who had never seen the film and when we got inside, the audience was packed with Moulin Rogue fans. Afterwards, Baz Luhrman, Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman were all present to answer questions. You could really feel the love and energy throughout the entire place. It was such an awesome experience, and it totally made me look like a big shot in front of my friend. I have had many such nights at the Cinematheque.

The variety of films screened at the American Cinematheque is so varied; it is impossible not to find something you’d like. Not only are you preserving two classic movie theatres with your membership, but you are also making it possible for new filmmakers to have a venue to promote their films. It truly is one of the best ways to spend your entertainment dollars, and you will be educated as well. I encourage everyone to join. Good movies and a tax write off. What’s not to love?

For more information visit www.americancinematheque.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the endorsement. It thrills us to no end when people feel their lives are enhanced by participating in American Cinematheque programs. We are a small staff trying to offer something unique to the general public at an affordable cost. We appreciate being appreciated! Its not easy showing 1 - 2 different films every night of the week.
    The Staff of the American Cinematheque
    (We swear we did not coax Melanie to say this)

    ReplyDelete