About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dance Flick

Is there such a thing as a comedy snob? If so, I might be one. I found Dance Flick to be a lazy comedy where any comedic momentum that may have naturally occurred was constantly being interrupted by slapstick sight gags that brought the film’s timing to a screeching halt. Outside of a few select actors, characterization was achieved by wearing bad wigs, false teeth and inappropriately padded suits. It was like every dance movie in the past decade was digested and vomited up on the big screen. It was cut and paste comedy at its worst.

I enjoy a good parody. I though that Tropic Thunder was hysterical and I even enjoyed the cheerleading spoof Fired Up. But the difference in these films is that the comedy was organic and character driven. There were references to past films inserted into the story line, but they were strategically placed and well thought out. Dance Flick was like a series of bad skits loosely strung on a weak plot. There was no integrity when it came to the script and its story line.

I have long since outgrown potty humor and fat jokes. I like my comedy to be a little more thought out and intelligent. There is obviously a market for this type of film. The formula has been working well and they do make money at the box office. In addition, some people find them to be very funny, I’m just not one of them. If that makes me a comedy snob, then so be it.

Don’t Bother: A paint by numbers comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment