About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Management

Sometimes when I see a movie I become so perplexed that I want to call up the writer or director and say, “What were you thinking?” Management is one of those films. It is a not bad film. I actually found it engaging. But, I didn’t understand what the film was trying to say. I have a few guesses, but I’m unsure if I guessed correctly. Either way, it’s unclear.

I understood the Steve Zahn character for the most part. His motivation was straightforward and direct. But, Jennifer Aniston’s character was an enigma to me. She did so many things that a woman would not do. For one, let a strange man into her hotel room. Two, let him into her home when he shows up at her job on the other side of the country. This is creepy stalker territory and most women these days are smarter than that. When I find a female character that doesn’t make sense to me I usually check to see who the writer is. In this case the writer and the director are the same, and he is male. That explains a lot.

I found the Steve Zahn’s portrayal of Mike to be very endearing. You really wanted him to succeed. He is tender, romantic, a bit of a lost soul, still trying to figure things out. The Sue Claussen character however, made so many strange decisions that I was never quite sure where she was coming from. And when she decides to marry Woody Harrelson’s character, you really questioned her sanity. I just didn’t get her.

In order to enjoy this film, I think you have to be a fan of the actors. I for one love Fred Ward and felt he was under-used. My friend is a big Steve Zahn fan and we both enjoyed his performance. As a romantic comedy, or a drama, I’m still not sure what it was supposed to be; I believe this film missed its mark. It was just too strange. I do however believe there is enough good here to warrant your time, so I am giving it a mild recommendation.

Rating: Rent It Steve Zahn is adorable

No comments:

Post a Comment