About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, June 22, 2009

Year One

Some things never change. Since Year One, the tall, muscular, athletic guys have been getting all the girls, while the short, smart, funny ones have had to work twice as hard. This film made me think a lot of Darwin and his theories on natural selection. If a guy is not a strong hunter or provider, how does he get a woman to reproduce with him? The same way he does today. He charms her, or makes her laugh.

Year One
follows the trials of Zed and Oh, Jack Black and Michael Cera. Zed is expelled from the village after eating a golden apple from the Tree of Knowledge. Angered by his act of disobedience and disgusted by his lack of hunting skills, Zed is forced out of his home by the alpha male, Marlak who is also Zed’s competition for the object of his affection, Maya. As Zed and Oh discover that there is a world beyond their land, they stumble across various Biblical characters until they reach the twin cities of Sodom and Gomorra.

I had high hopes for this movie in the beginning. It was funny hearing contemporary language coming from these primitive men. There was also some very clever lines and hilarious cameos. But as the film reached Gomorra, it bogged down quite a bit. It was like the writers said, “Okay, we’re a hour in now, let’s wrap everything up and finish this thing.” Some of the conclusions were ridiculous.

For the most part I liked this film. I found it very amusing. But I was disappointed when it started to fizzle out. So far Jack Black and Michael Cera only play variations of the same role, which is okay if the script is good and the chemistry is there. But this film did not maintain its charm to the very end. By the time the fart jokes showed up, I knew this film was running out of gas. If it could of held on to the quality laughs a little bit longer it could have been a great film, but it lost its momentum and started reaching for the cheap laughs. By then, this gal was looking around the room for a guy with a little more muscle. Charm can only take you so far.

Rating: Bargain Matinee Funny premise, some good laughs

No comments:

Post a Comment