About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, June 5, 2009

The Hangover

Movies can be very educational. Today I learned to never buy drugs from a liquor store dealer, never give a hotel your credit card, tigers like to chew upholstery, and if you are going to get stupid in Vegas, you better make sure that your friends are fearlessly loyal, or you’re in big trouble.

The Hangover is the epitome of a Guy Movie. It is crude, vulgar, gross and actually very funny. Three best friends, and a brother, converge on Las Vegas to spend one last wild night before Doug gets married. In the morning, three of them wake up with a wicked hangover, and Doug is missing. Like a perverse detective story, Phil, Stu and Alan, must try to piece together their drunken debacle based on the evidence in their trashed hotel room. They must find Doug and get him back to California before his wedding the next day.

I found a lot of the humor in this film to be offensive, but I found the friendships to be endearing and irresistible. Guys can be much more forgiving than women. Their friendship is severely tested, but no matter how difficult, they never lose sight of their goal, to make it home in time for the wedding.

I feel sorry for Justin Bartha who played Doug, because he was missing for a good part of the film. But I can just picture him sitting behind the camera and laughing his ass off while Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis have to suffer through all kinds of indignities. Then he still had the fun of partying with them in Vegas after. Maybe, he had the best part of all.

The Hangover is not for everyone. If you are easily offended, stay away. But if you can get past some raunchy and off-color humor, then you will enjoy this film. The premiss is very clever and the actors are great. And by tomorrow, all the guys will be quoting it.

Rating: First Run A raunchy comic romp.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the part at the end where they find the camera that was wedged in the car seat and agree to review the evidence of what happened the night they all forgot and then destroy it, giving the audience a glimpse of what should've stayed in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete