About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, June 1, 2009

Drag Me To Hell

I feel duped. I had no intention of going to see Drag Me To Hell, and I ended up going anyway, so now I feel like a sucker. There were two circumstances that got me to see this film. For one, it was free, and two, the movie got really good reviews. Based on these two factors alone, I felt that it was necessary to put my preconceived notions aside and give this movie a chance. So, I went. Now, I’m mad at myself.

I did not enjoy this movie. I should have stuck to my guns and stayed away. The reason I did not enjoy this movie is that it had no “redeeming” value, and I mean that literally. Alison Lohman plays Christine Brown, a loan officer who is up for a promotion at her bank. The choice is between her and a newly hired man. She has the skill, the experience, and the seniority, but her sweet nature is viewed as a weakness. Her male counterpart is seen as aggressive and able to make the tough decisions, so in an effort to look like a more viable candidate, Christine goes against her nature, and turns down an old lady for an extension on her home loan. The old lady has already had two extensions, so her decision is a reasonable one. But, what Christine doesn’t know, is that the old woman is a Gypsy. So when Christine turns her down, the old woman puts a curse on her and in three days she will be dragged to hell.

Christine Brown is a sweet, wholesome, kind, young girl who has made a bad decision, and try as she might, there seems to be no way to redeem herself. She apologizes, amends her decision, and she even visits the old lady’s home, but due to one fateful decision, she is doomed to burn in hell forever. As I said, no redeeming value!

In order to stop the curse, Christine opens herself up to the world of the occult and gives herself over to the spirit world. As I was sitting there watching this, I was so mad at myself for doing the same thing. Why put myself in this position? Why open yourself up to darkness? There are so many movies out there that are entertaining without having to be dragged through hell. Luckily for me, I have a choice. I also have a chance to redeem myself. Next time I won’t be so stupid.

Rating: Don’t Bother No “redeeming” value

No comments:

Post a Comment