About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cheri

Cheri is the nickname given to a young man. The son of a prostitute, he is handsome, rich, and the object of curiosity. His Royal parentage is clouded in secrecy. Michelle Pfeiffer portrays Lea de Lonval, the prostitute friend of his mother played by Kathy Bates, who gave him his name. Michelle’s character is becoming a woman of “that age” and is looking forward to her retirement.

Unlike Lea de Lonval’s other friends, she had the good fortune to remain childless, a liability in their trade. But without a child, she was facing old age alone, and that thought she found disconcerting.

While preparing a visit to her summer estate, she visits the home of her old friend and is reacquainted with Cheri. He is now a young man, bored, lazy and without ambition. On a lark Lea invites Cheri to accompany her on her journey. He accepts, and a love affair begins.

Following the story of the two books that inspired this film, we discover the ups and downs of their May-December romance. The film is visually stunning and Michelle Pfeffier is radiant, but I just didn’t like the content of the film. It was all just too melodramatic for me.

Rating: Rent It Visually stunning, but melodramatic

No comments:

Post a Comment