About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Ugly Truth

A good movie is like a good date, it all comes down to chemistry. You may go out with someone who sounds good, and looks good, but then they do something that completely turns you off, and the date is ruined.

For me, The Ugly Truth was a bad date. I really like Katherine Heigl. I find her fresh, funny, and with the ability to strike the perfect balance between strength and vulnerability. But in this film, her strong female character was reduced to a bouncing pogo of a girl so quickly, it was like they rewrote the part in the middle of the film.

Then there is Gerard Butler, who I also like. He always comes off as very masculine, which is why we ladies like him. Yet, in this film he was so insensitive to other people’s feelings that he had absolutely no qualms of embarrassing them on television, or manhandling them in a public place. Both behaviors were so over the top that it took me completely out of the movie. Kind of like a guy sucking his teeth and picking them with a credit card after a meal. It’s not something that you want to see.

There was some chemistry between these stars, but their roles were so unbelievable, that I couldn’t get into the film. This movie is not worth shaving your legs for.

Rating: Rent Rent Likable actors in unlikeable roles

1 comment:

  1. Not many films based in Sacramento California, where I'm from, so it was nice to see for a change, even though they gave mixed messages (great place to raise kids vs slim pickens for women over 40 looking for a man) for propsective citizens to move there.

    A fun film overall. Meg Ryan has competetion now for the best orgasmic scene at a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete