About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Sunday, July 12, 2009

I Love You, Beth Cooper

It was 4:00 in the afternoon, I was just getting off from work and it was still 95 degrees outside. I had no desire to go home to my oven of an apartment, so I did what I always do when I want to escape, I went to the movies.

After checking the show times, I saw that I Love You, Beth Cooper was coming up next. Perfect, I thought to myself. A mindless teen romp. I bought my ticket and a bag of popcorn and escaped the heat for the next couple of hours.

I Love You, Beth Cooper, was amusing throughout and it was really a nice way to get out of the heat. But the part of the film that really stood out for me was Hayden Panettiere as Beth Cooper. Beth Cooper is the head cheerleader at school and for the last four years has ridden a wave of popularity. When a geeky valedictorian, played by Paul Rust, confesses his love for her at graduation, she is thrust into the spotlight once again, maybe for the last time.

What I liked about Hayden’s performance was her self-awareness. She knew that her glory days were coming to an end and she was desperately trying to squeeze every last ounce of fun out of High School before her life moved on and she stopped being remarkable. She was a realist and knew that her options after High School were few. Her best days were soon to be behind her. She responds to the young man who professes his love by showing up at his graduation party. She soon discovers, however, that he doesn’t really know her at all, that he’s just in love with some image that he created and this she finds very disappointing.

There is always a thread of sentimentality in a Chris Colombus film and this film is no exception. But what kept it from getting maudlin was the radiant Hayden Panettiere and the depth she gave to her role. Charismatic in her bridge-burning recklessness, but vulnerable as her reign as teen queen came to an end. I found her performance genuine and it really elevated this film.

Rating: Second Run Hayden Panettiere is radiant as Beth Cooper

1 comment:

  1. I was a bit frustrated with this movie at first, but gave it a chance and it ended up being an overall good experience.

    Loved Hayden and the two Laurens.

    Good teen flick.

    ReplyDelete