About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, July 13, 2009

Weather Girl

My most favorite thing about going to independent films is discovering a little gem before all my friends do. It’s like being the first kid on the block to get some really cool shoes. I loved Weather Girl. It was fun, well-written, well-acted, had snappy dialogue, and overall, it was “sassy”.

Written and directed by Blayne Weaver, I had a feeling that Blayne came from a television background. Not by the quality of the film, but my the stable of talent that he commanded. Many of television’s best character actors were in this film including Mark Harmon, Jon Cryer, Blair Underwood, Jane Lynch, and many, many more.

The Weather Girl centers around Tricia O’Kelley as Sylvia, who has a live television meltdown when she discovers that her news anchor boyfriend is cheating on her. Mark Harmon plays the jerk of a boy friend and I have to say I kind of liked him as a sleezeball. After committing career suicide, Sylvia must move in with her little brother Walt, who still lives like a college student, with an open door policy to his best friend across the hall, nicely played by Patrick J. Adams.

I really enjoyed the sibling banter between Ryan Devlin and Tricia. I found myself smiling all throughout the film. And there are some very funny supporting performances as well. Kaitlin Olson, in particular, is hysterical as the news anchor who is horrified as her illicit affair is exposed on live television.

If you are tired of the usual summer, block buster fare, and would like to try something new, I highly recommend Weather Girl. It’s like sorbet on a summer day. Cool, refreshing and perfect for the season.

Rating: First Run Television’s best in an amusing, sassy film.

No comments:

Post a Comment