About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, July 31, 2009

Comic-Con 2010: Still A Good Value

While at San Diego’s Comic-Con 2009 and waiting in numerous lines, I heard a lot of grumbling about the prices going up for next year. I would just like to point out, that it’s still a good value. At $100, divided over 4 days, that’s only $25 dollars per day and you get plenty of excellent entertainment.

If you were ambitious enough to get there on Pre-View night, that adds a fifth day, which brings the cost down to $20 a day. This includes, movies, screenings, lectures, panels and entrance to the convention floor with wall to wall booths of merchandise, and free give-aways. If you are industrious enough, you can make enough money on EBay selling your free SWAG to pay for your trip.

Personally, I only spent $300 this year and that included hotel, gas, local transportation, food and any snacks I bought while there. Granted I shared a hotel room and brought along a lot of portable snacks, but I also went to the San Diego Zoo in the morning on Preview Night. So my little 6 day, 5 night vacation only cost me $60 dollars a day. And that’s pretty good.

Another good thing about the price going up is that it may thin the herd. Comic-Con is packed and it’s really hard getting to everything you want to see because there are so many people there. Maybe with the price going up, it will discourage some of the lesser fans and make things more comfortable for the die-hards. This was only my second time going to Comic-Con, I could never afford to go before. But now that I have been, I couldn’t think of missing it. It’s just too much fun.

So all you grumblers out there. Take a break if you want to. That just leaves more for the rest of us. Shorter lines are a good thing. I have my ticket already and I can’t wait to do it again. Comic-Con 2010, here I come!

2 comments: