About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Public Enemies

There are many story threads running through Michael Mann’s Public Enemies. One thread involves J. Edgar Hoover and his vision to modernize the police force. Another thread centers on Melvin Purvis and the corruption of his integrity. There was the organized crime angle, where flashy, opportunist criminals were being replaced by ruthless, unfeeling, syndicates. Then there was the Depression, the media, star-power, political manipulation, and the glorified criminals themselves, Dillinger, Floyd and Baby Face Nelson. Add in a love story to all that, and you have Michael Mann’s film.

The problem for me is that when you weave all these threads together and hold the cloth up to the light, the weave is just too shabby. If one thread didn’t look right and you start to pull it out, the rest of the fabric suffered. This film is a cinematic equivalent to a cheap suit.

The story that I found the most interesting was the J. Edgar Hoover one. Here is this man, smart, educated, feared, and reviled; yet he knew how to manipulate the system and get things done. His vision modernized crime fighting and ushered in a whole new era. I also found it interesting that the very act of destroying Dillinger, and his like, only made it easier for the mafia to step in and fill the gap.

I found Johnny Depp’s portrayal of John Dillinger to be very good. I liked what he was trying to do with the role, but I don’t believe he was able to complete the task. What made Dillinger stand out from the rest? All three men were gunned down in their prime, yet Dillinger, in history, stands out. I’d like to explore the reasons why.

There have been other Dillinger films in the past, so I was looking forward to something new. Unfortunately, in this film, I didn’t find it. There were parts of the movie that I liked, but overall, I was disappointed. Maybe the next guy will get it right.

Rating: Rent It Too many angles, not enough answers

2 comments:

  1. Saw this at a drive-in movie theater, which made it a challenge to see, as it was dark and the method in which they filmed it was hard enough to tarck in a walk-in theater I had read. Plus, I was a bit partial to the early seventies version with Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Geoffeory Lewis, Richard Dreyfus, ...

    But, Johnny Depp made a great Dillinger, as he looked the part and delivered another great performance.

    Will try this movie again tonight at the walk-in theater and provide further insights when I have a better shot at seeing the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better indoors. Storyline pretty consistent with the early 70's version, but more of Dillinger's girl, Billie - a great performance.

    ReplyDelete