About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I’ve read none of the Harry Potter books, so you won’t be hearing me complain or getting upset over what they did or did not leave out of the film. My opinion is based solely on what I see on the screen.

What I liked about the first Harry Potter film was the sense of wonder and amazement. When Harry Potter enters Hogwarts Academy there are moving staircases and talking pictures and chandeliers that float in the air, I was just as mesmerized as Harry Potter as he explores his brand-new school.

Then as the series progressed I got caught up in the magic of the relationship between Ron, Hermione and Harry. Their love and friendship for each other allowed them to stand together, which empowered them against their enemies. Each one contributing their own strengths and skills, together becoming a force to reckon with.

Next, there was Harry Potter and his fight with Lord Voldemort. An epic battle that nearly cost him his life. This match up was exciting and suspenseful and necessitated that Harry use all his wizardly skills. It was a classic fight between good and evil.

Now were at the current film, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and everything I loved about the previous films is missing. The wondrous special effects that I loved from the first film, no longer captivate. The friends are split up and divided by the misunderstandings that come with young love. Wanting to be together, but unwilling to speak from their hearts, they are separated by longing and jealousy, their friendship tested, and pushed to the limit.

And then there’s the peril of being Harry Potter, the chosen one. Yet, in this film it was more dangerous to be Dumbledore. Harry was only in trouble when he tried to help him. This time the focus was on someone else.

When all is said and done, I found Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince to be a little bland. It’s like when I was a little girl. When I first went to a magic show and saw the disappearing cabinet trick, I was in awe. It was wondrous, magical, and a little frightening. But now as an adult, I’ve seen the trick so many times that I’m only impressed by the most polished and theatrical of presentations. It really takes a lot to get me to say, wow!

I still enjoy the Harry Potter films, but now I’m no longer saying, wow! All I have to say is, step it up Harry Potter. Impress me! I’m no longer satisfied with the status quo.

Rating: Second Run "Half" as exciting as the previous film.

No comments:

Post a Comment