About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Class

Imagine standing in a room with 30 or 40 people scrutinizing your every move. They judge your appearance, the way you talk, they make personal comments, and they watch you like a hawk waiting for you to make a mistake so they can mock you. No, Iʼm not talking about an episode of American Idol, Iʼm describing what itʼs like to be a teacher.

Watching The Class was a very painful process for me. Not because it was bad, but because itʼs the most honest film about teaching Iʼve ever seen. I grew up watching romanticized films like Good Bye Mr. Chips, Up The Down Staircase and Dead Poetʼs Society. I thought that teaching would be cool. But education has changed, and todayʼs teachers get very little respect.

Francois Begaudeau plays himself in this French film based on his own experiences. I completely empathized with him when a couple of students provoke him into losing his cool. Hurt and humiliated, he lashes out and says something inappropriate. Every teacher I know can understand the frustration of being held to a higher standard than the rest of humanity. Students can cuss and swear with impunity, but when a teacher says one wrong word, everyone acts like a covenant has been broken.

Although this film is in French with English subtitles, and French schools are run a little differently than they are in America, youʼll recognize that we are more similar than different. I think that any one who plans to teach, run for School Board, or involve themselves in anyway with working with children should see this film. Teacherʼs need a lot of support and a little understanding would help.

Rating: First Run Donʼt let the subtitles keep you away

No comments:

Post a Comment