About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Medicine For Melancholy

What I love about today’s technology is that the ability to make films has become so affordable that almost anybody can make one. This is great news because new voices are being heard. What I like about small, independent films is that they can break the rules. They don’t have to be commercial, so stories can be told in new and exciting ways, giving voice to a part of the world that we may not normally hear from.

Medicine For Melancholy is the story of two African American strangers who get drunk and end up having sex at a friends party. In the morning their one night stand appears to be over, but a forgotten wallet brings them back together. They end up spending the day together and discover how different their experiences of life have been. The film discusses race relations, what it means to be black, personal identity, and the gentrification of San Francisco.

If Hollywood commercial films are like a full orchestra, then this film is like a San Francisco street musician. They compel you to stop and listen because the music is coming from the heart. The film is often slow, and some of the scenes seemed unnecessary, but the acting was so natural and resonate that you could identify with the characters. The political issues in the film were made personal so the author was able to get his point across without creating a sermon. If you are interested in relationships, black culture, or urban economical dilemmas, then you’ll find this film interesting. If not, this film is not for you.

Rating: Rent It Watch it with some friends and open up a dialogue. There are some good topics for debate here.

No comments:

Post a Comment