About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fired Up

I have a confession to make. I saw this movie because of the poster. I am near-sighted and I was walking in a mall when I saw a huge sign with two giant, orange, collegiate looking letters, saying F, U. I thought to myself, “That’s funny.” And as I got closer I saw some additional letters, much smaller, and in black, which spelled the movie’s title, Fired Up. Then I saw the slogan, 300 Girls, 2 Guys, You Do The Math. The poster summed it all up. I knew exactly what I was going to get. A teenage sex comedy with cheerleaders. After reading that I thought to myself, “If the movie is half as funny as the poster, or half as funny as Bring It On, then maybe it is worth my time.”

Well, the movie was not as funny as Bring It On, but I have to admit it was amusing. Going in I knew exactly what I was going to get. Two boys skip football camp and become cheerleaders instead. They score chicks, plan to leave, but get caught up in the spirit of teamwork and competition. But what was fun for me was the unexpected elements. I didn’t recognize any of the cast except three adult character actors. Because everyone else was unknown to me I was enjoying the new faces. I especially liked the dynamic, and comedic timing of the two leads, Nicholas D’ Agosto and Eric Christian Olsen. Their pick up patter was polished and rehearsed, so it was very easy to adapt their style to cheerleading camp.

As far as sex comedies are concerned, this film is fairly PG if you can overlook the language. The writer, Freedom Jones, must have had a wonderful time listing every slang and vulgar term for sex, and personal body parts. The visual humor was crude as well, and for extra offense, there were gay jokes. But even though I never laughed out loud, I did find parts of the film funny, as well as some of the supporting characters. All in all, not a great film, but worth renting.

Rating: Bargain Matinee Bring a pencil and paper if you want some new pick up lines, or vulgar terms to shock your friends.

1 comment:

  1. I found this to be a pretty funny film and suitable for teenagers (high school crowd), as it wasn't so much a sex comedy as a make out comedy.

    The characters were funny - the actors did a good job.

    Good ending too.

    ReplyDelete