About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fan Boys

I remember vividly when Star Wars first came out. I saw it at the Century Theaters in San Jose, California and it was the first time that I ever had to stand in a long line to see a film. The theatre was totally unprepared for the hundreds of people standing in line eagerly waiting to get in. The queue extended all the way into the parking lot and ushers had to coax us to move, clearing the way for the occasional car. There was so much excitement in the air, and anxiety too. Will I get in? Will I get a good seat? I hope this film is good. Nothing has been the same since. Theaters now have Event Film logistics down to a science. They have advance tickets sells, staggered show times, midnight screenings, and in some theaters, reserved seating. But this story takes place before all that.

Fan Boys is set in 1999. The first three Star Wars films have already been analyzed, discussed, and dissected to death. Fan Boys everywhere were drooling for the next installment after a seventeen-year drought. The anticipation was turning into a frenzy. But for four Star Wars fans, they were becoming desperate. When they discover that one of them is dying from cancer and wonʼt live long enough to see the next film they decide to drive across country and break into Lucasʼ Skywalker Ranch.

I found this film to be a lot of fun. I went on opening day and there were plenty of Fan Boys there. But, there were no long lines, no sell out crowds, just a bunch of people who enjoyed laughing at themselves in this low budget, independent comedy.

This film took a long time to make it to the big screen. It was a real labor of love and deserves to be seen, however I would recommend that you rent it. Or better yet, buy it and watch it with some friends. Get some Hot Pockets, aerosol cheese, order a large pizza, and enjoy. As all Fan Boys know, watching a good film, or a bad film, is immaterial. Itʼs all about the shared experience. May the Force be with you.

Rating: Rent It I recommend that you share this film with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment