About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Defiance

It is easy to become emotionally invested in a tale of survival. We choose a character that is similar to us, or at least one we would like to be, and we follow them closely, watching them with great intent. As we track their every move we ask ourselves, “Would I do that? Is that the decision I would make?” As the story unfolds we secretly sit in the dark, asking ourselves what kind of survivor would I be? Would I be quiet and watchful, would I be greedy, would I whine or complain, or would I summon some unknown courage from the recesses of my sole and stand up to be someone worth admiring.

The beauty of Defiance is that the heroes in this film are all very well rounded and believable. We see then in moments of doubt, indecision, making mistakes and then suddenly surprising us with acts of bravery and self sacrifice. Daniel Craig plays the oldest of four brothers, while Liev Schrieber portrays the competitive second. Jamie Bell is the third brother forced to grow up very fast, and George MacKay plays the youngest, most sensitive brother, that reminds the other three to keep their humanity. This true story chronicles the unheralded efforts of the Bielski Brothers who managed to rescue hundreds of Jews and kept them alive in the forests through several harsh winters and the aggressive pursuit of German soldiers. Their efforts saved entire families keeping them from extinction. Many Jewish families today owe their present day existence to
the efforts of these brothers.

All four actors do admirable work and the cast is full of excellent supporting characters. I especially appreciated the women in this film. Although their parts were not as large, they gave these women depth, strength and purpose. I definitely recommend this film.

Rating: First Run   Inspiring

No comments:

Post a Comment