About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Coraline

Coraline is a truly unique movie. I spent a large part of the film wondering, “How did they do
that?” This magical stop-motion animated film is so artistically done and imaginative that I
was completely caught up in the art of the film. But what eventually transported me from being an observer to a participant was the voice talents of Terri Hatcher and Dakota Fanning. Terri Hatcher essentially plays three versions of the same character and her interpretations were so nuanced that I was greatly impressed with her voice work. Dakota Fanning was also a natural choice for the part of Coraline. She gave the young girl in this story a grounded, real quality, that was necessary to sustain her through the fantasy sequences. I am a great fan of
Dakota’s talents.

Coraline is not going to appeal to everyone, the animation style is a long way from Disney, or
Pixar. But this film will be talked about for a long time to come. It is truly a work of art. If you
enjoy animation, are brave enough to try something new, or are already a fan of work like The
Nightmare Before Christmas, you’ll love this film.

Rating: First Run Take a chance and see this film. It’s different, but worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment