About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar 2009

The Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences tried to reinvent the wheel this year. They were so successful that the show glided along with grace, elegance, and in some respects, speed. I respect that the Academy refuses to cater to commercial interests and continues to nominate quality films. This hurts when it comes to ratings because some people lose interest when there is a lack of popular films, or films that they have seen. However, those people, who skipped the show this year, missed a very good, entertaining, show.

To begin with, I love the set. I loved the crystal drape that was able to change color throughout the show to suit the changes in tone. I also loved the floor motif. It was able to change color as well, and the design was carried out in the podium, and the dividing walls to great effect. I also liked the idea of having the orchestra on stage. This paid tribute to the old Hollywood Big Band days in both music and design. I wished we could have heard more of the musical themes. They were fun and fresh, while still evoking Hollywood’s Golden Years. But, in order to keep the show moving, we were only able to hear samples.

In juxtaposition to the glamourous front, I liked that they represented an unadorned sound stage in back. It was like a before and after shot. Literally this is what film and television is like. You start with this grey chicken-wired box, and when you add sets, props, lighting, actors in costume, and some well scripted words, suddenly you have a show. All you have to do next is add music, some special effects and some very careful editing, and you’re done. This production showed us it all.

I thought it was smart to have the presenters give awards in category clumps. This saved a lot of time by cutting down on set up and travel. Also, by choosing presenters who could relate to the category, we were educated, as well as entertained. I especially enjoyed the bit with Steve Martin and Tina Fey. It was funny without the forced patter that we have come to expect from past award shows.

If I missed anything, it was the reduction of inside jokes. I enjoy those little zingers that land dead-on and make the whole room erupt with laughter and guilty glee. But, the problem with those kind of jokes is that they do not travel well. I may be falling off my couch here in Los Angeles because I understand the reference, but people watching in Spain, Japan, or other parts of the world are scratching their head and wondering what is so funny. An example of this is Ben Stiller’s imitation of Jaoquin Phoenix. If you did not see, or read about, his recent bizarre behavior, you may not have enjoyed the joke as much. But luckily Ben’s commitment to a bit makes it funny even if you don’t understand it. I always look forward to his comedic contributions.

Another thing that was new that I liked this year was the yearbook structure. So often award shows are so busy honoring the past that they forget we are here to honor the present. It was awesome that so much time was devoted to paying respect to all of this year’s films. The Judd Apatow segment with James Franco and Seth Rogen, reprising their Pineapple Express characters, was a lot of fun. It also reminded us that some films, though not Oscar caliber, are loved just as much. It was also brilliant when they showed previews of coming attractions during the end credits. This was a very smart idea, and good marketing move. We are all amped up after the awards and our appetites are whetted. Now we are primed for what is coming next. Excellent idea.

If I had to name my favorite change to this year’s Oscars, I would say it was the way they presented the acting awards. By having five Oscar winning actors standing on stage and telling the world why a certain nominee was nominated and why they deserved to be there. It was wonderful. Just to look at their faces. How honored and respected they felt. If I were a nominee I wouldn’t even mind if I lost. Whoppi Golderg just told the whole world I am funny. Robert De Niro just called me, friend. Sir Anthony Hopkins just said I was a brilliant actor. What a tribute. What an honor. What a wonderful way to make all the nominees feel like winners. Well done!

In summary, I was very impressed with this year’s Oscars. Hugh Jackman did a remarkable job and the show achieved what it was designed for. The Oscars was created eighty-one years ago to encourage quality work and to promote the film industry as a whole. By highlighting those individuals who demonstrate dedication, artistic integrity, and cinematic innovation, everyone prospers. I love cinema, I love the Oscars, and come tomorrow, you’ll see me in line at the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment