About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

If youʼve ever worked in a mall, a theme park, or perhaps on a large ship, you know that secret pleasure of mastering your universe. In these types of environments, one has to learn the in and outs, the back ways and byways and become so familiar with your city within a city that you can navigate your manufactured world with ease. It is this type of joy that I found in Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Kevin James plays a father who wants to become a police officer more than anything in the world. But due to weight control issues and hypocalcemia he has failed the physical test numerous times. He refuses to give up however, and as he waits for his next try-out he sharpens his skills working as a Mall Cop.

A lot of jokes revolve around the lack of respect that Security Officers receive. But in my opinion comedic gold was found in the magical union between a man and his Segway. I could just imagine the hours of practice that Kevin James put in to become so deft at riding this machine. It reminded me of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, or Harold Lloyd. His mastery of this machine for comic effect was a beautiful thing to behold. I found this film funny, charming, slightly sentimental and with enough action and stunts to keep it fun and exciting. The violence stays in the extreme sports vein and never gets too gratuitous. The romance is sweet and the sentimentality is natural and not forced. I really liked Kevin James in this film and I hope he will do
more. He really is a comedic talent.

Rating: First Run Would make a good family night out or date film

1 comment:

  1. This movie was truly enjoyable. I liked it so much that I recommended it to my friends to go see it by not revealing a single detail, saying it had parts that were so funny they had to see it for themselves. Seemed to work.

    What an original comedy.

    Go Paul Blart!!

    ReplyDelete