About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Taken

I donʼt know why this film was released near Valentineʼs Day. They should have saved it for June and released it on Fatherʼs Day. Itʼs a real Father-Daughter Film. I mean what girl wouldnʼt want her estranged father to quit his mysterious job with the government to devote his time fawning on you. And donʼt we all secretly wish that if we were ever really in trouble, that our daddies would move Heaven and Earth to rescue us. In addition, having a dad that looks like Liam Neeson, well maybe they got it right, Liam Neeson is a Valentine to us girls.

Taken is an action film through and through, but the plot barely holds it together. Liam Neeson plays a retired “preventer”. He spent his life acquiring a certain set of skills and now that his daughter has been kidnapped in Paris, heʼll tear down the Eiffel Tower if he has to, to get her back. Thereʼs plenty of hand to hand combat, explosions, and car chases, but no real good villain. Just a bunch of swarthy men who are interchangeable.

I liked Liam as a tough guy. I liked the balance he showed between being a trained professional and a worried dad. But the plot line was a little too much, and as the body count continued to rise, I found myself being turned off. Liam Neeson is the only reason to see this film and I predict that it will do very well as a rental. And thatʼs what I would recommend, rent it.

Rating: Rent It     See it with adult daughters please. Too much blood shed for the young ones.

1 comment:

  1. Those of us serving here in Iraq loved this movie. When we saw the prewiews and were discusiing whether to see it, one Captain said, it's Liam "frickin" Neesan man.

    That led to a lot of hype,speculation,and anticipation as we arrived way ahead of time to stake out our box seats in the balcony at the Sustainer Theater at Joint Base Balad.

    The place was packed and the crowd loved the show.

    Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete